Introduction to the Form

The following information is intended to walk you through each section of the request form.

The dashboard where you can generate a new consulting request can be found here linked via the "forms" page of this website.

If you are looking for any kind of technical guidance on how to access the form itself or navigate InfoEd, please look on the "training materials" section of this website where you can find PDF and video guides that should answer all your questions.

We have tried to provide information that helps troubleshoot common problems, but if you have questions or issues, please do not hesitate to reach out to the relevant Faculty Consulting Office.

Please note: Any activity for which you are being paid related to your professional expertise requires approval through the faculty consulting request system. If you are on a 9- or 10-month contract and will be consulting during your off-contract months, you are still required to submit consulting requests prior to any work you might do during these periods.

Personal Details

Demographic information is pre-populated and cannot be altered on the form. If you see an error please notify the Faculty Consulting Office.

Management-exempt faculty are a limited group. Most faculty do not fall into this category. The only management-exempt employees who fall within the faculty consulting program have a base faculty appointment. As a faculty member, a management-exempt appointment would mean that you are not eligible to join the AAUP.

  • At Storrs and regional campuses management-exempt faculty have higher-level administrative appointments, usually at the level of associate dean and above. All management-exempt faculty at Storrs and regionals have 12-month appointments and accrue vacation and other leave (this differs from 9/10/11-month contracts).
  • At the Health Center, if you are unsure of your status, you may refer to your appointment letter.

Management exempt employees need to document the days and times they are making up normal work time that was used for a consulting activity. When the reconciliation report for an activity is completed faculty will be asked to document the actual days and hours they did this make up work outside of their normal business hours. If this is not possible, the consulting work should be performed on approved vacation, personal, comp, or holiday leave time.

Your percent work effort describes your full-time equivalent status during your contracted months. i.e., a standard faculty contract at Storrs or a regional campus would normally be 9 months/100%. For Storrs and regional faculty, your work effort will be below 100% only if you have a part-time reduction.

Only employees who have a faculty appointment or are eligible to be a member of the AAUP are able to submit faculty consulting requests (throughout this webpage, we refer to all these employees as "faculty"). If you do not fall within these categories, you should reach out to the Office of University Compliance for guidance related to outside employment.

If you are a faculty member working less than 50% of the time for the University, you are not required to obtain approval through the consulting system. Most adjuncts will fall below this 50% threshold. If you are below this 50% threshold, in rare instances, you might wish to submit a consulting request if you have a potential conflict of interest that you want reviewed and documented. Please see the faculty consulting policy and procedures or contact the relevant Faculty Consulting Office if you have questions. There are also cases in which faculty who are employed less than 50% of the time for the University may have employment that is subject to outside employment rules in the State Code of Ethics. If you have questions related to this area, you should reach out to the Office of University Compliance.

Entity Details

This section is asking you for details of the entity that is paying you for the work. If you are undertaking work at a domestic location for an international entity (e.g., a GlaxoSmithKline location in the U.S., when the company is headquartered in the U.K.) you should check the option that the funds are coming from an international source. If this is a complicated relationship, the additional information box found in the attestations section can be used to provide further details.

The question related to your affiliation with the entity is designed to generate information relevant to potential faculty-affiliated companies. If you have a temporary service role, such as serving on the board of an academic society for which you are doing some work, you do not need to provide details of this type of professional service role.

Most information related to faculty-affiliated companies (FACs) is housed with the Office of the Vice President for Research (OVPR). The definition of a faculty-affiliated company [or other legal entity] is a for profit or not-for-profit business where a faculty member or member of their immediate family (spouse or dependent child):
1. Is a director, officer, owner, or limited or general partner, OR
2. Is a beneficiary of a trust OR holder of stock constituting five percent or more of the total outstanding stock of any class

If this is your first time completing the form for a faculty-affiliated company you will likely be contacted by the Faculty Consulting Office or OVPR for further information of the entity and your relationship to it. Your role with a faculty-affiliated company may mean that you are subject to further compliance obligations beyond consulting approvals. Even if your faculty-affiliated company is not directly related to your area of expertise, you may likely be subject to compliance obligations related to FACs. Please reach out to your relevant Faculty Consulting Office or OVPR if you have any questions.

Activity Details

Please select the activity that best describes the consulting work you will be performing. You can read additional information about each activity type on the “activities” page of this website.

Activity Dates

A request is only good for one fiscal year (July 1- June 30).* Separate requests need to be submitted for each fiscal year if the activity is continuing beyond the current year.

If you have a firm start date please enter that on your request. If you do not have a firm start date you can select the box marked “start upon approval”

Time spent consulting is measured in days. One day is considered 10 hours. (For example, 2 hours should be entered as 0.2 days). Specific days/times that consulting will occur during normal work time need to be pre-approved by your supervisor. They can be entered at the time the request is submitted if known, and if unknown at this time they can be submitted to the direct supervisor for written approval via email.

If the expected amount of time to consult is unknown when you submit your request it is better to overestimate rather than underestimate the time requested. As you cannot edit approved requests, underestimating time may result in the need to submit a new consulting request to cover additional time. At the time of reconciliation, you will document the actual amount of time spent consulting (both total time and normal work time).

If your request is late and after the start date has already passed, you should still submit a consulting request. Further details are provided in a specific FAQ on this topic. Please also reach out to your Faculty Consulting Office for advice and next steps.

"Normal work time" for most faculty will be Mon-Fri, 8-5, running through the contractual period. Public holidays, evenings, and weekends would not be normal work time unless you are contractually working an alternative schedule. Winter break, spring break, and the period after classes end until the end of a contractual year all fall within normal work time. Summer months outside of your contractual period, where you are not receiving summer salary do not fall within normal work time. All faculty consulting requires approval, but any work that takes place during normal work time must have the dates and times communicated to your direct supervisor through the consulting form or other written forms of communication. 

For Storrs/regionals, the reporting year for consulting is now May 23 through to May 22 in the following calendar year. These dates better align with the faculty contract year (8/23 through 8/22) and will mean that activities spanning the summer period will no longer have to be submitted as two separate requests. Requests for FY23 have a date range of 7/1/22 through to 5/22/23 as we transition from the July through June fiscal year to this new reporting period. Dates for reconciliation remain unchanged. 

Compensation Details

If you are unsure of your total expected compensation it is best to overestimate, rather than underestimate, when submitting the request. At the time of reconciliation you will document the actual compensation received.

You may be undertaking work for a faculty affiliated company or other start up where you are receiving no financial compensation. However, you may still have an equity interest in the entity that is over $5,000 and therefore constitutes a significant financial interest (SFI). To deal with this situation you should provide the actual amount of compensation you expect in the current fiscal year (which may be $0), and provide additional comments as needed to explain your situation.

Role Details

These questions help to identify any potential conflicts of interest that may need a management plan. If there could be the potential for a conflict of interest, please provide as much detail as possible to help us understand the nature of the relationship or other issues involved.


University resources usually may not be used for consulting.

Consulting may involve the use of de minimis resources in the following ways:

  • Resources used must not exceed a value of $100 in any given fiscal year (across all consulting activities).
  • Departmental policies such as reimbursement for photocopying or other expenses must be followed at all times.
  • You may make use of “idle, non-consumable resources,” which are usually defined as the use of your office, work computer, and University email account, so long as the following conditions are met:
    • This use does not interfere with other State business (i.e., your regular University work or that of your colleagues).
    • You can demonstrate that using these was for convenience not for the purpose of saving money. I.e., you have a personal computer that you could use or a home office space, but it was simply more convenient to use your University computer and office.
    • You are clear in any consulting context that even though you may be using University office space, computer, or email, that the work you are doing as consulting is in your capacity as a private citizen and not in your University employee role.

In some cases, material use of University resources may be used to support consulting activities. Such use should be documented with a formal agreement and the University must be compensated for such use at fair market rates. If you have any questions about this type of use, please reach out for support. Any consulting request involving material use of University resources must include documentation that includes the following:

a) A summary of the material use of state resources
b) A description of the fair market value of these resources.
c) The name of the highest level University official who approved the use of the resources, including an attestation of this approval.
d) An attestation that this University official is responsible for monitoring the appropriate reimbursement for such resources.
e) An attestation that you are prepared to provide documentation of all points above to the auditors if and when requested.

Such documentation may be submitted in a single file using the “other attachment” section.


These are a series of required attestations that you must complete before submitting your request. Please make sure that you read each of these carefully and are clear as to your commitments in relation to faculty consulting.


After you have completed the activity (or after the end of the fiscal year) you must “reconcile” each approved consulting request. This is where you confirm or update what actually took place for your activity.

There is an option for “I did not perform this activity” which you can check if the work did not take place. You can also use this option if you submitted a consulting request for approval and you definitely will not be compensated for the activity.

Any changes in the amount of time spent consulting and the compensation received that differ from your original request should be reported on your reconciliation.  Please explain any discrepancies from the original.