Presentations and Teaching

Make a scholarly presentation of my published work and in which I have control of the content of the presentation.

This type of activity covers standard presentations of academic work that are done outside of your role as a state employee. These types of presentations may have compensation in the form of an honorarium or other payment. If you are receiving any payment for this type of activity, consulting approval is required.

If only travel expenses will be paid with no additional compensation, please see the Necessary Expenses page.

This activity may qualify for the “low conflict of interest pathway” if it occurs with a domestic entity.

Make an educational (non-promotional) presentation

Presentations to non-commercial entities for educational purposes are usually straightforward. If conducting this type of activity, please make sure that you provide details of the audience and that you make clear the non-commercial nature of the presentation in the information you provide. Greater scrutiny will be given if your presentation is with an entity that may be involved in promoting or selling products, services, or other goods.

Faculty may not participate in promotional presentations (see CMC Action #9 for an additional definition of promotional activities). Promotional activities would be those in which the University or the faculty member might be seen to endorse or promote a product, service, or organization.

If material in the presentation could be seen to endorse a product, service, organization, or other marketable entity, you must have control over the content of materials and/or activities, including those bearing the name and/or logo of the contracting entity or other third party.

If a commercial entity is involved, you will not be approved for consulting if the activity for which you are purportedly being paid is only to make you a better speaker. Purely professional development opportunities of this nature will only be approved when supported by nonprofit (non-commercial) organizations, state or federally-funded programs, or similar.

This type of activity may qualify for the “low conflict of interest pathway” if it occurs with a domestic entity.

Teach an educational (non-promotional) course or workshop that does not compete with the University (including continuing education) offerings.

Any request to teach a full course offering at another institution is given particular scrutiny. The request should explain how the teaching does not compete (i.e., draw students who might otherwise enroll at UConn) with the University. Any teaching taking place during contracted regular semester periods should also come with a clear explanation of how the teaching will be balanced with your regular faculty workload.

The request should be clear about the nature of the teaching that will be done, the organization it is with, and may include information such as who the students will likely be (including, if relevant, how these students differ from those who may attend UConn).

Requests for teaching should also include, where possible, how this activity will contribute to your professional development.